Friday, December 6, 2013

Ten Garden Gates

One of the things I like about Victoria B.C. are the garden gates. There are gardens all over North America, but few of them have gates like they do here. Just about every garden has a gate, and they rival with each other in originality. You have gates in all styles - some are practical, some are sophisticated, some are old and battered, many are romantic (in the "Come into the Garden, Maud, I am here at the gate alone" style). Here are ten of them. You can click on any picture to enlarge it.





8 comments:

  1. They really like to make the most of their entrances don't they - I like gates where you can see what is on the other side and so there is an element of mystery

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the pickets work for me. The grills and lattice not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are all quite nice! Different perspective on gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like gates. I have a gate into the back on the side of the house and another out to the alley. Both are part of wooden picket and seem awfully plain to me. I think I like that last one best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I like about these is that they are all so different and don't have that cookie-cutter look about them. My town is mostly new construction and individuality is sadly lacking in both the houses and the landscaping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have hit the nail on the head. There are parts of the city where the houses do not have much individuality but, in the older parts, there are no two alike. The majority of them are in the mission style (Arts & Craft), a style I particularly like, but they are all different.

      Delete
  6. I liked them all. Number eight had the help of heavy equipment I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to see number 151 in summer, covered with flowering vines!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment